View Single Post
Old 06-15-2004, 02:48 PM   #190
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Aylwen flung open the last window forcefully and then proceeded to return back towards the counter when she heard little feet patter on through the front door and on under the table where an elderly woman sat with a younger man. Aylwen had no time to see what the boy had looked like, and the Innkeeper had half a mind to go off and apologize to the patrons while pulling the rascal out by his or her shirt. But the Innkeeper could see that the first three inhibitors of the space below the table top were children of Leofan's, and Aylwen never had the heart to punish any child. However, Aylwen kept a watchful eye on the children as a woman walked into the White Horse.

The woman did not stop to take a seat, and instead walked right up to Aylwen with a half annoyed, half worried look upon her face. "Excuse me, miss. Did you see a young boy run by here just a moment ago? I seem to have lost him already.” The woman began, her calm voice contrasting with the way in which her eyes darted around the room into all the dark corners. Aylwen smiled, remembering the sound of the feet and looking past the newcomer lady towards the old woman and her young companion.

"Why, I do believe I have seen a little boy run past here. However, I am unfortunate enough to have the sorrowful duty to inform my patrons that they have three, and now four little children beneath their table and scarcely avoiding their feet," Aylwen grinned at the woman while she spoke, and walked from behind the bar towards the table that the children must have thought was hiding them quite well. As she moved Aylwen caught the attention of the young man, who gestured and informed the old woman of the Innkeeper's presence. Aylwen greeted them with a nod and a cheery smile. "Hello, Asad, it is nice to see you again. Jesia, as always it is a pleasure to see you enjoying the White Horse. However, I feel morally compelled to inform you that there are three little creatures trying their hardest not to hit your feet. Keeping this in mind, perhaps it would be best if I pulled them out for you? Gently, I assure you."

The old woman called Jesia laughed, her voice cracking and quickly becoming a wheezing croak. The man Asad took to lying his hand on his grandmother's shoulder, his eyes showing worry for just a moment. The flash of worry disappeared quickly though, and Jesia had stopped her hacking fit. Turning to Aylwen, the aging lady smiled behind a wrinkled face. "No, young Aylwen. I will take care of the young'uns, if it please you." Without giving anyone a chance to answer, Jesia leaned over in her chair, causing it to creak as she bent her head beneath the table top. There, in a curious huddle, sat four little boys. All of them seemed within five years of each other, but Jesia's eyes had failed her before and she dared not venture to really guess. Jesia had no need to grab or speak to any of the children. No, not at all. Jesia flashed the children a big, crooked smile when they all looked to see who had intruded. Her eyes wide and smile wrinkling upon her face, the children screamed at the top of their lungs and scrambled out from under the table. The twins quieted as each was lifted into the air by a gentle arm from Aylwen, and the little boy that Aylwen did not recognize stopped hollering when the new patron had grasped him in his arms. When Giefu realized his was the lone voice, he quieted and turned to see where his entourage had gone off to.

"Is that the little one you spoke of, friend?" Aylwen asked the woman kindly.

Just as Aylwen's voice trailed off, several people sauntered into the White Horse all at once. Osric, with some new companion, walked into the Inn carefully with his aid. Mae entered next, but she saw Osric and went over to the familiar face immediately. When Aylwen was certain that Fierlan and Deman were calm (they dared not look in the direction of the old woman!), she set them down and they went off with their brother. They only turned back to look at the woman that held their new acquaintance.