View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 08:54 AM   #23
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
hS- there is however the sentence "Bright Earendil was then lord of the people that dwelt nigh to Sirion's mouths:" which as a practical matter meant all the surviving west-Elves of Middle-earth other than the rebel Feanorians.
What's the breakdown between the Havens of Sirion and the Isle of Balar? My admittedly vague understanding is that Sirion was founded by the refugees of Gondolin and Doriath, while everyone else - the remnants of the Falas, Nargothrond, and Hithlum - were holed up on Balar. If that's right, then... well, I have no idea how the numbers break down. Are there any known refugees of Nargothrond and Hithlum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
With regard to Gil-Galad's inheritance, does anyone know how old he was when Earendil became the ruler of the remaining Elven folk? I assumed that Finwe's brother Turgon became King over Gil-Galad because the lad was too young to rule at the time, by whatever standards Elves had.
I have in my head that the Silm states he was born in 445, so ten years before the Bragollach. That would make him about 30 come the Nirnaeth, and just over 60 at the Fall of Gondolin. If we accept the LaCE claim that elves reach adulthood at 50, you're spot on with this.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote