View Single Post
Old 04-21-2020, 09:18 AM   #10
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I like that, Formendacil. In part, I like it because it makes the Noldor at least a little less sexist! Tolkien may have asserted that "in all things neri and nissi were alike", but in practice his later writings mean Idril's claim to the High Kingship gets passed over for her grandfather's younger brother's great-grandson! Putting Gil-Galad (back) into the Fingolfin side means at least we can assume some sort of males-first inheritance, rather than straight up males-only.

Also it gives poor Noblegas an actual purpose in the story, rather than showing up just to die. ^_^ Now, if I was going to dig even deeper into this fanon, I might propose that when Fingon sent his nephew off to the south, he could have asked his aunt Lalwen to look after him. That would give her a story purpose too, and give Gil-Galad's claim the legitimacy of 'Fingolfin's sister says I'm king'. Potentially a very useful card to play when Turgon's daughter shows up - not to mention the possibility that Finarfin's warlike daughter could wander in at any moment!

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote