View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 03:24 AM   #267
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ooh, are we doing transmission theory? I love transmission theory!

Let's assume that the entire Middle-earth corpus is derived from the Red Book: that the First Age material comes entirely from Bilbo's Translations from the Elvish, and that the Second Age stuff is probably from Gondor (added either by Merry and Pippin, or by the Gondorians to the Thain's Book). The Translations are said to be from Rivendell's records, which presumably were previously records in Lindon, but how did they get into there?

-Ainulindale, Valaquenta, and pre-Elvish Quenta: Probably written in Lindon or Balar. Actual Valinoran writings are unlikely; those could have been brought over by Houses Fingolfin or Finarfin, but none of the refugees from various Beleriandic collapses had the opportunity to take their books with them to the Havens. The most religious city in Beleriand was Gondolin (which actually had a Place of the Gods), so probably recounted to scribes by surviving Valinorean Gondolindrim. Ultimately, they have to be from a Valinorian Elda, who was taught them by the Valar.

-Pre-Return Middle-earth: Most likely dictated by Cirdan, who was there for all of it. The very early Awakening of the Elves story is specifically said to be a children's story.

-The Eldar in Valinor, including the Fall of the Noldor: The Kinslaying being pretty unpleasant, I doubt this was written down early, but the accounts have the ring of authenticity - they were clearly based on first-hand accounts by House Feanor. My guess is that Galadriel was behind most of it (hence the odd little anecdote about Feanor and her hair), while either Maglor (to Elrond) or Celebrimbor (to Galadriel) added a Feanorean perspective. It would have been written in the Second Age, partly as an explanation for why the Valar were so disgruntled at the remaining Noldor. It's also said to be partly based on Rumil's writing in the Annals of Aman, which would probably have been a gift to Cirdan.

-General Beleriandic accounts: clearly compiled in the Havens/Balar, as the only place where the stories of Gondolin, Nargothrond, and Doriath would be generally known. Pengolod of Gondolin probably had a heavy hand in them: he wrote the Annals of Beleriand and edited the Annals of Aman, so we can imagine him finding the latter Annals on Balar and being inspired to write his own.

-Beren and Luthien: derives from the Lay of Leithian, by an unknown poet (I've hypothesised that it was Tinfang Gelion). He must have been directly told the story by Beren and Luthien themselves, after their Return (since Luthien's appeal to Mandos is part of the story), which places him firmly in Ossiriand. The poem would have travelled to Doriath (of course), but might not have been written down: the purpose of epic poems was to keep the stories alive in memory. I'm imagining Dior singing it to Elwing, and Elwing singing it to Elrond...

-The Children of Hurin: from the poet Dirhaval of the House of Hador, who wrote the Narn. But where did he get his information? Some of it was from the Doriathrim, and some no doubt from surviving Nargothrondrim, but so much of Turin's story was never known to them. The details of his time with the outlaws, the death of Beleg, his time in Brethil and his death: the best source for these is Brethil itself. Did Hurin learn the full tale when he passed through? I can see him telling his story to Melian before leaving to go jump off a cliff.

-The Fall of Gondolin: Idril. The view the story takes of Turgon could only come from his daughter; the surviving Lords of the City wouldn't be so critical. Tuor probably made some contributions (like the long, rambling bit before he gets to the city), but I think the meat of the story is Idril's: would Tuor really have given his wife all the credit? If not told to Earendil, it was probably at least told for his benefit - so yes, Maeglin really did try to throw him off a cliff and/or stab him, because the kid actually remembered that part. The general creepiness of Unc'a Lomion, however, is exaggerated by hindsight.

-The War of Wrath: written, or rather not written, by the Elves (possibly even Elrond himself). They didn't participate, which is why there's almost nothing recorded. No doubt there was a Numenorean account with loads of details, but it was lost in the Downfall.

-Numenor: we're told outright that Akallabeth was written by Elendil, which means it was written to justify his own rule. The usurpation of the Line of Kings, the emphasis on Ruling Queens (which puts Silmarien and the Andunie line in a very good light), and indeed, the assertion that the whole island is irrevocably lost: they're all brought up to make it clear that King Elendil of Gondor-and-Arnor is the only way forward. As for The Mariner's Wife... well, it's too complex a story to have been remembered, and I doubt Elendil's refugees brought their libraries with them. That means it was already in Middle-earth - which means it was either from the Belfalas Faithful... or from the Black Numenoreans of Umbar. ^_^ I'll leave it to you to decide whether the moral of the story is 'be more like elves' or 'elves suck'.

Ultimately, yeah: there's a lot of opportunity for biased narration. Not around the Fall of Gondolin, though: you'd have to cast Earendil as a liar for that to work, and I think the Valar would have something to say. But Hurin and Elendil are prime candidates for bending the truth.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote