View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 04:21 AM   #246
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
I, however, don't agree with your description of Erendis, because I can't help but be mad at her. Even when her husband revealed the real reason for his voyages, she still acted as if she were the injured party. She was perfectly willing to let Sauron run amok unchecked, spreading terror and remaining a threat, because to her, having her husband by her side was far more important, amirite?

Basically, I see her as a selfish individual who was perfectly willing to see the world burn as long as she got what she wanted.

People like Maeglin are vilified for putting their own desires ahead of the well-being of the world as a whole, and yet when someone like Erendis does the same thing (more or less), it's all perfectly kosher.

I feel it's a tad unfair.
Ah, is this in the Strong Female Characters thing? Bear in mind that falls under the Not-So-Crackpot Theories section: ie, unlike the Deep Places list (which tries to be evidence-based and explicitly state when something is a stretch), it's allowed to be a bit on the biased and weird side. (That one comes right above the one that claims, straightfaced, that Nienor exists because Tolkien wanted people to paint nudes. O.o)

Erendis is messed up. So is Aldarion. He doesn't care about her much at all, and she is insanely jealous of him. Much like Maeglin, even if the specific inciting incident hadn't occured, she would have found something to get angry about. Take a look at how badly she messed up her daughter - and, by extension and example, all three of the later Ruling Queens - to show this.

(Of course, this still makes her a strong character...)

As for Tar-Miriel: she was the Queen, and I refuse to accept the usurper's claim.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote