View Single Post
Old 04-21-2004, 03:38 AM   #382
Vanya
Animated Skeleton

Vanya has just left Hobbiton.
I read Hobbit and Lotr 15 or soyears ago, but Silmarillion only seven years ago. The unfinnished tales were translated this year, so I only finished reading of it, and now I'm confused about some characters and events, since there are several very different versions of them ( like Galadriel's story)

After Lotr, I read lots of SF, and for fantasy books, I can recommend several series:
- The cronicles of Amber - R.Zelazny (great fantasy books, there are 10, but I read only 5)
- The annuals of Thomas Covennant - Donnaldson ( different, but good. 6vol)
- The Book of the new Sun - G. Wolfe ( 5vol, great, but dark. Feels a bit like you are in a nightmare, and can't wake up!)
- Earthsea - U.LeGuin (original)
- Discworld, but you all know it well
I don't remember all the original titles, sorry

Now I'm in dilema whether to start Tolkien's HoME (I don't have heart to start 1-10, so you can recommend the realy importat ones. if you want), or to start Jordan's "Wheel of time" serial, which is also demanding, since they only translated the first two vol., and when I think about reading it in english...
In Serbia, in this moment, Martines's serial "The songs of Ice and Fire" are very popular, but I havent read those yet. People mostly read the firs two vol. since the other two aren't published yet here (but will be very soon)and say it's very interesting, fast, in different style completely (not so epic, more realistic). I'll read it soon, for sure.
Vanya is offline   Reply With Quote