View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Ironfoot
Pile O'Bones

Ironfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Regarding the Numenoreans, here's a passage that I have not seen at all in my travelings that I think should be taken into consideration. It's probably not well known as it is an earlier work of Tolkien's and people probably don't think of it as accurate, but here it is reproduced for your consideration.

Quote:
Yet it is said that even of those Numenoreans of old who had the straight vision there were some who did not comprehend this, and they were busy to contrive ships that should rise above the waters of the world and hold to the imagined seas. But they achieved only ships that would sail in the air of breath. And these ships, flying, came also to the lands of the new world, and to the East of the old world; and they reported that the world was round. Therefore many abandoned the gods and put them out of their legends. But men of Middle-Earth looked up with fear and wonder seeing the Numenoreans that descended out of the sky; and they took these mariners of the air to be gods, and some of the Numenoreans were content that this should be so.

Sauron Defeated, The Drowning of Anadune (third version of the Fall of Numenor), pp. 338-9
And another passage from the same paper considering Ar-Pharazon's (then Tar-kalion's) "thunder."

Quote:
And they encompassed Avallon; and it is said that the Elves mourned and sickness came upon them, for the light of Valinor was cut off by the cloud of the Numenoreans. Then Tar-kalion assailed the shores of Valinor, and he cast forth bolts of thunder, and fire came upon Tuna, and flame and smoke rose about Taniquetil.

Ibid, p. 336
The flying machines are particularly interesting, especially since they were built after the Downfall. I'm not sure why they haven't been discussed more thoroughly: perhaps this paper isn't considered to have as much authority as his later works. Still, the power of flight is a very rare thing in ME and it adds depth to the loss and fall of the Numenorean race in the later ages.

Numenor seemed to possess the technology of cannons as well, as that most obviously fits the description. But this is a very common piece, and almost to be expected.

Last edited by Ironfoot; 01-02-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Ironfoot is offline   Reply With Quote