Thread: Beorn
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I like it. Althogh I'm surprised that neither mentioned Tolkien's most direct lift from Beowulf, admittedly not in TH itself: the guard's challenge in Rohan. (In the draft, Tolkien rendered it in Rohirric/Old English)

'The King of the Golden Hall':
Quote:
"Who are you that come heedless over the plain thus strangely clad, riding horses like to our own horses? Long have we kept guard here, and we have watched you from afar. Never have we seen other riders so strange, nor any horse more proud than is one of these that bear you. He is one of the Mearas, unless our eyes are cheated by some spell. Say, are you not a wizard, some spy from Saruman, or phantoms of his craft? Speak now and be swift!"
Beowulf 193-208 (Tolkien's translation):
Quote:
"What warriors are ye, clad in corslets, that have come thus steering your tall ship over the streets of the sea, hither over deep waters? Lo! I long while have dwelt at the ends of the land, keeping watch over the water, that in the land of the Danes no foe might come harrying with raiding fleet. Never have armed men more openly here assayed to land, knowing not at all the pass-word of men in array of war, nor having the consent of kinsmen. Never have I seen on earth a greater among men than is one of you, a warrior in arms; no hall-servant is he in brave show of weapons, if his fair countenance lie not and his peerless mien. Now I must learn of what people you are sprung, rather than ye should pass on hence, false spies, into the land of the Danes. In haste it is best that ye declare whence your ways have led!"
(In the draft the passage began"Abidath cuman uncuthe! Hwaet sindon ge, lathe oththe leofe, the thus seldlice gewerede ridan cwomon to thisse burge gatum....")

Last edited by William Cloud Hicklin; 04-03-2020 at 09:23 AM.
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote