View Single Post
Old 10-29-2006, 05:55 PM   #595
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"Very well," Eodwine said. "I would have you sit at the feet of Marenil so that he can find out what you know, and I will speak with your older brother to find out what you can do.” Javan wondered briefly who Marenil was and why he would sit at any man’s feet, but Eodwine’s next sentence brought his attention back entirely on him. “But I have two questions for you, Javan lad.” A short pause, and Javan waited expectantly. “My questions are these: first, what would you most like to do here; and second, what would you most like to learn to do?"

Not simple questions to answer. What was available for him to do here? How long would he be here? What could he learn? He had many interests and many things he was capable of doing. He did not know if it would be polite to ask questions, though, in his turn. So instead he stood without answering for some minutes while he thought.

He loved horses, but Eodwine already had an ostler. Did he need any more guards, or men-at-arms? Even if he did, Javan decided an instant later, he was yet too small and too young for that. Javan really had no idea of what to say. What needed to be done in such a setting? He was used to the country, to a farm, helping his older siblings take care of animals and crops, or learning his lessons inside with his mother in the morning and taking long, pleasurable rides in the afternoon.

Perhaps the second question would be easier to answer. Yes, it was, definitely easier to answer, and Eodwine was waiting.

“To the second question, I’ve an answer,” Javan said at last. “There are two things I’d like to learn. How to become a soldier like my brother and how to work with horses so I’m good at it. But I can do anything, sir,” he added quickly, “really I can. Whatever you need, I’d – I’d be fine with doing.” The two thoughts of becoming soldier and working with horses had occupied his mind so often, he thought it could never come to pass, and he did not want to appear as though he only came for pleasure seeking purposes. He would do whatever lord Eodwine set him to, he told himself. No matter what it was.

“I see,” Eodwine said in answer. “Thank you, lad. I will consider what you have said and in the morning, I will have decided what you will do. Now, I believe you have had a long day, have you not?”

“Yes, lord.”

“You may go then. Have you met the lady Saeryn?” Javan nodded. She had been one of the first to meet Medreth and him when they arrived at the hall. “Run down and ask her to arrange someplace for you to stay, if she hasn’t already figured that out.”

“I think we have, Eodwine,” Thornden said. “Another bed has been set up in my room. I would not expect another room to be prepared.”

“Very good. You may go, Javan.” The boy bowed again and went to the door. He paused there, glancing back, before going out into the hall and shutting the door after him. “Now, Thornden, there is more you wish to tell me?”

“Yes. There are two more matters that I have to discuss, one not so pleasant as the other. But I will ask concerning the happier matter first.” He paused a moment, considering how to put his request into words. “You remember, over a month ago, I brought in a lad…Lys, he named himself to us.” Eodwine nodded. Of course he remembered him. “Until today he has been confined to his room, unable to walk due to his injuries. This morning, however, he came out. He is nearly completely healed and his strength will return to him, I’m sure.” Eodwine nodded again. “He has not regained his memory, lord,” Thornden said, his eyes dropping away from Eodwine’s. “He knows nothing of his past, what happened to him, who he is, or who he belongs to.” Now he looked back up. “Eodwine, if I may, I would like to take charge of him. He is as good as an orphan and needs someone too look after him, teach him what he can not remember, help him as he regains his strength, and get him back on his feet. What do you say?”

Last edited by Folwren; 10-29-2006 at 07:29 PM.