View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #591
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thornden smiled and nearly laughed and Lys’ threw his thin arms around him in a hug. The boy’s answer put Thornden at rest. He had half feared that Lys would think, now that Javan was here, that Thornden would no longer want him. But Lys clearly had not thought that, and Thornden was happy.

But then Lys’ face clouded and the joy dimmed and faded from his eyes. “I am worried that he...I mean...Lord Eodwine...will not have me here. I do not have much skill at all, and I am slow. What can I do to earn my way here, Thornden? Being a burden on everyone, it is not what I want. I loathe it.”

“Well, to begin with, I’d advise you to stop thinking that Eodwine won’t allow you stay here. He’s not likely to decide that you need to leave all of a sudden. He’s been keeping you here so far with you not being able to do anything, hasn’t he? You mustn’t worry about being weak still, Lys. You’ll get stronger. I’m sure of it!” Lys still didn’t look convinced. His glance fell away from Thornden.

“What if I never walk right again?” he asked in such a low voice that Thornden could hardly catch the question. “I think this limp will never go away.”

“There is more to be done here than taking care of horses, being a soldier, or running errands," Thornden assured him. "We’ll find something suitable for you to do, so that you’re not a burden to everyone.” The stall door opened and Léof and Javan came out. Thornden laid his hand on Lys’ shoulder. “Don’t worry about it,” he said quietly. “I’ll speak with Eodwine tonight. You’ll be able to stay, I’m sure, and we will find something that you can do.”

“A’right, Thorn, the horse is put away,” Javan said, coming to a stop before his brother and Lys. “Can we go in and meet lord Eodwine now?”

“Yes,” Thornden said nodding. “Goodnight, Léof. Thank you. Lys, you probably should...” he paused a moment as he turned back to him. “Well, never mind. You can stay out here, if you want.” Lys nodded and Thornden and Javan went out. They crossed the courtyard and entered the main hall.

Lamps were lit and placed upon the walls and most of the inhabitants of the hall still sat around the dinner table. They did less eating now than talking, though. A quick glance at the gathered company told Thornden that Eodwine was not among them. He smiled and nodded to a few people who looked up at him, but he did not stop or speak to any until he came to Saeryn. She was not aware of him as she sat laughing and talking with the person opposite her. Thornden tapped her shoulder and she turned around at once.

“Where is Eodwine?” he asked.

“Why, I’m not so sure!” Saeryn replied. “Several minutes ago, Falco came and dragged him away from his meal and he hasn’t come back.”

“Is he busy then?”

“Oh, I can’t imagine Falco giving him too much business, no. I think I would have heard of it earlier today. Try upstairs, in his room.”

“Thank you.” She smiled and turned back to the table and Thornden took her advise and went upstairs, Javan trailing him. They went up the stairs and to the door of Eodwine’s chamber, but no voices came from within and no one answered Thornden’s knock.

“I think I hear voices down the hall a bit,” Javan said, tilting his head in that direction. The two brothers walked down two more doors and stopped again. Thornden lifted his hand and knocked thrice.