View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 05:11 PM   #564
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
The thought of a child starting to learn a trade too young was not one that had been in Garstan's mind. There were limits, of course. Strength of arm and body were needed. Garmund could wield the hammer well, so long as the work was light. The simpler tasks of carpentry were not beyond Cnebba. And those who came to apprenticeship with some skill already learned would find the years of training easier.

Still, Garstan had been without guidance in his choice to teach Garmund early. When they journeyed alone through Rohan, there had been no other way known to Garstan or his son. Garmund had been happy in learning stonecraft, and had shown gifts for the work. But since they had come to the Hall, things had changed, and Garmund would sometimes look away, listening to the sounds of the other children at play, and more eager than before to put his tools aside.

Mayhap he had been too strict with Garmund. Garstan thought of the boy's serious, thoughtful face that oft made him seem older than he was, and of the short times of high spirits that brought back the truth that Garmund was only a boy. Garstan could not, and would not, release him entirely from lessons, but he would think upon lessening the hours spent at the hammer.

Sliding his bowl to the edge of the table, Garmund spoke. "It seems to me, Stigend, that a likely lad cannot too soon begin to learn the skills of a trade, if his arm be steady and strong enough for it. But neither would I see him - Garmund or Cnebba - unhappy.

Might you bring Cnebba to learn some of the lesser tasks? It may be well too for me to leave Garmund free more. With neither always at play or yet always at work, the trouble might be eased."