View Single Post
Old 09-10-2003, 02:17 PM   #151
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Etheldreda’s long black hair flew out in the wind behind her. She loved being out in the wilds of Rohan, with nothing before her but the rolling green plains of the Riddermark waiting to be explored. “Bring me the horizon,” she whispered, her cobalt eyes staring away to the line where sky and fields met. Her horse Tycyn whinnied softly. She patted the bay stallion’s neck and spoke to him in Rohirric. Her father bred some of the finest horses in all of Rohan, and she had always loved being around the intelligent, loyal and patient creatures. It was only after her brother had ridden away to join the Rohirrim that she and Tycyn had become close. Now the horse was her best friend; she barely thought of her twin any more. It had been his choice to try his hand at being what he was not, and good luck to him.

She smiled at this thought. How could she criticise her own kin, when here she was on the path to a new life of her own? But then she realised he was not kin of hers; it was impossible. Both he and her parents were flaxen-haired, as most people of Rohan were. She knew the tale well enough by now – when she was small, someone had found her wandering in Edoras and had brought her to her family’s house. No-one knew how she had come to be there.

Tycyn trotted on for a short time, and it was only then that Etheldreda realised that she was nearly at the inn. As the horse’s hooves clicked on the cobbles of the courtyard, she dismounted lightly as a cat and led the horse to the stables.

She spotted one of the stable hands and walked over to him. "Excuse me," she said, her voice as clear as riverwater, "is there any room here for my horse? We have come a long way and he needs rest as much as I do."

"Of course," the young man replied. "Let me find a stable for him. Do either of you have a name?"

"He is Tycyn," she said, "and my name is Etheldreda." She rummaged around in the pocket of her trousers and dug out some silver, which she shoved into the stable hand's palm. "Care for him well," she said.

The young woman turned and walked across the courtyard and into the inn, hoping to find another road to wander here. Perhaps she could even stay awhile and earn some money to fund her next journey in the wilds. As she strode through the door, she tried to look confident, though inside she wanted to disappear among the crowds. Her unusual appearance attracted a few stares, but she thought nothing of it. She walked towards the bar, behind which the smiling innkeeper stood.

"What can I get you?"

[ September 12, 2003: Message edited by: Airerūthiel ]