View Single Post
Old 08-27-2003, 10:38 AM   #172
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pelien watched tenderly as Adrama danced with Addruran. Of course, she would have preferred seeing her daughter floating across the floor in the arms of Denethor; however, even though she would not have wholeheartedly condoned a romantic relationship between the two, she couldn’t help admitting to herself that Adrama and Addruran complimented one another well. Her daughter appeared comfortable in the young man’s embrace and the color had returned to her cheeks which was an improvement of her earlier state when Denethor and Finduilas were announced. Pelien had worried about her daughter’s reaction to the couple. She wasn’t pleased with the current situation anymore than Adrama was, but she wasn’t going to cry about it, and she hoped Adrama would keep her emotions intact.

Sador gently took his wife’s hand and lead her around the grand hall. The couple stopped and spoke with several of the men in Sador’s company and their wives who all had one thing on their minds and lips…Finduilas. Pelien nodded pleasantly as the other women whispered about the real identity of the future Steward’s bride-to-be.

More and more she felt like the situation was getting out of hand. If Denethor didn’t find out soon, it would be too late because either the couple would be married or the Steward’s name would be marred, and since she wanted to replace the princess with her own darling daughter, Pelien would not stand having the Steward’s House brought into it.

The music ended and the guests stopped their petty conversations long enough to applaud the couples on the dance floor. Pelien eyed Denethor taking Finduilas off the floor and onto the terrace. Perfect… she thought as she drained her glass.

“Sador, dear, I need some fresh air.” Sador nodded and politely excused them from the current couple. Pelien thrust her empty wine glass into the hands of a passing servant and began walking toward the terrace while her husband brought up the rear. She hadn’t meant to leave Sador behind, but she was on a mission. It was time for Denethor to find out about what was being said about his precious bride, and the wine she’d been drinking had taken the edge off enough to give her the boldness she needed.

As she reached the outside door, Pelien turned impatiently and sent a look to her dawdling husband that made him walk faster. “Look, dear, Denethor and his new bride are over there…we should greet them.” Pelien’s voice was as sweet as honey and just as thick. Sador replied with a sidelong glance before he took her hand and walked over to the Steward’s son.

“Sador, it’s good to see you.” Denethor reached out and gave Sador a firm handshake. “Lady Pelien…” Pelien gracefully held out her hand for the Steward’s son to kiss. “You look…lovely this evening. I believe you have already met Finduilas.” Here, Finduilas smiled sweetly and held her out her hand, but Pelien just looked at it without moving, so Sador took the princess’ hand and slightly bowed making some kind of compliment that Pelien would not allow herself to hear.

While the men complimented one another on this and that and how great the ball was, Pelien never took her eyes from Finduilas. The princess appeared somewhat uncomfortable under the gaze of the snake…dressed woman. I’m on to you, Princess, and soon your fiancé will be too, Pelien thought as a slow sly smile swept across her face. She was only waiting for the right moment to strike.

The conversation moved to politics, as it often did, and they spoke generally about the goings on in Umbar. “Umbar…That’s where Ar-Pharazon captured Sauron, is it not?” The men turned to Pelien with confused expressions not exactly sure where the woman was going with this. The older woman leaned forward with a pseudo smile intact. “Finduilas, you should know that…he is your most famous ancestor.”

The trio gasped, and Sador grabbed Pelien’s arm, but she pulled it loose and tried to continue. “That’s absurd! What are you talking about, Pelien?” Denethor’s brows were furrowed and his head was tipped to one side as he took a step in front of Finduilas.

“Don’t tell me you haven’t heard. The entire court is raving about it. Well, I’m sure she’d kept it from you, Lord Denethor. However I know she’s known about the talk or she wouldn’t have sent her little ladies to my home to confront me.” Pelien stood firm and never took her hateful gaze from Finduilas except when she spoke directly to the Steward’s son, then she softened her expression to sympathy. He would know now that his precious princess was really trash, and he would send her out with the garbage.

[ August 30, 2003: Message edited by: alaklondewen ]