View Single Post
Old 10-11-2003, 11:40 AM   #62
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

Nuru, I hope to hear you are better soon. Certainly, if you have something you wish me to post for you, send it via PM. I'll be happy to do that.

All writers of the Mark,

Here's a reminder about the geography of Edoras and the surrounding land. The town is built on a hill and so it is terraced to some extent. A small stream runs through it, in a stone culvert, and down and out, eventually forming a larger stream which flows into the Snowborne. Edoras is a pallisaded town, with guards in mail at the gate who all must pass to enter or exit. Outside the gate is the barrowfield of the Kings of Rohan, which all who enter or leave the town walk between. Sometime in the next 10 years, Thédon will past a decree saying that strangers are not allowed to travel through Rohan without the King's permission. Currently, they can, but it would be interesting to see our 'travellers' begin to post about problems on the road as the Saruman's evil influence spreads.

For Tolkien's descriptions of Edoras, see TTT, chap VI, "The King of the Golden Hall" and RotK, chap VI, "Many Partings."

Also, reading Appendix A, part II, "The House of Eorl" will give helpful background about Rohan.

Remember, we don't have to imitate Tolkien slavishly, but what we write should not contradict egregiously his writings. We should at least be aware of the imaginative space he created so we can enter it meaningfully.

Here is an online Tolkien atlas of Edoras and south Rohan.

[ October 11, 2003: Message edited by: Bęthberry ]