View Single Post
Old 09-16-2002, 02:08 PM   #8
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Beautiful first topic [ and conratulations for bothering to search to see of it had been doen before! surely you have entered into Underhill's private hall of fame!].

I had an opprotunity to live outdoors for 7 month's or so each year for 5 years on Orcas Island [ as close to paradise I have ever come]each extended summer.And one of theyears in the middle of that I lived in a taoist/Steiner community way off of the grid and extermely simply/monastically on a remote island in Canad.

On Orcas though, I lived under a large tree w/ my girlfriend [now wife] and it was amazing. I ate raw foods, spent 4-5 hrs a day doing various taoist practices I had learned, and I have never felt so 'elvish'. I slept very little[ 4-5 hrs was perfect and i wopuld wake up w/ a completely clear head], my mind was sharp my energy levels werre very high, my emotions were clear, my voice was more clear than it ever has been since on several 3 month periods, my desire for popular culture was 0%.Oh and btw Osanwe was decidely more noticable.

Those were hands down the happiest of my life. I miss them greatly, and hope as my kids get older I can move back in that direction [ not that tree it has been co-opted by development].

any way the wise soul will endeavor to incorporate as much simplicity as posiible and as little 'gadgetry' as absolutely necessary. Common sense.

again TT great topic. and don't feel you have to post at the N%N board just because you are new. but this is a nice post here.

welcome aboard the coolest tolien board around, a virtual rivendell.

ps this very point was one of the reasons I loved Otherland so much as !Xabbu a bushman, was a major point of veiw character and we a re given many glimpses of a truly natural life.

I must add though before soemone else brings it up. Whre you will be happiest is being where you are supposed to be abd doing what you are truly supposed to do. Old world sensibilities and culture and nature are no substitue for a true spiritual life following God's will. even if that means being a desk jocky in a city. Doesn't mean you will not naturally long for nature and older culture though.

One reason why Orthodox Christianity is [reportedly ] the #1 growing form of Christianity in England though. It literally hasn't changed [ in a traditrioanl church at least] in over 900 or so years, and not much beofer that either. So it gives an ancient refuge to modern believers.

[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote