View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #7
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I find it a wonder that not once did a suspicion that "my friend is after the Ring" come crawling into their relationships. Perhaps that's one of the things Sauron underestimated most in the hobbits when he relied on the Ring's guile to mess up its other Bearers. He expected them to fight over the Ring to the death, not to help each other destroy it.
I think the conscious choices (acts of will) that the various actors had made are why there was no suspicion in the relationships. Bilbo had consciously chosen to give the Ring to Frodo. Even though there was a struggle, Bilbo held to the conviction that the Ring was Frodo's.

Sam only took the Ring out of desperation. He only briefly entertained the notion of keeping it for himself. After that, it was not a question for him that it was still Frodo's ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
I've wondered if he in fact sent Gollum to Cirith Ungol and Shelob with an unexpected result that Shelob sets Gollum free
Interesting theory. I am curious if there is any textual support for that? I thought the text was fairly clear that Sauron released Gollum on purpose.