View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #7
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir Jones View Post
In an earlier version (Typescript B) of 'The Quest of Erebor', of which Typescript C was published in Unfinished Tales, Merry questioned Gandalf further about Thrain's map and key, and how Sauron had not taken them from him. Gandalf began by explaining that it was 9 years after Thrain had left his people when he found him; and he had been in the pits of Dol Guldur for 5 years at least. He then said:

I do not know how he endured so long, nor how he had kept these things [the map and key] hidden through all his torments. I think that the Dark Power had desired nothing from him except the Ring only, and when he had taken that he troubled no further, but just flung the broken prisoner into the pits to rave until he died. A small oversight; but it proved fatal. Small oversights often do.
Of course; I remembered this quote as soon as you put it here, as that "rave until he died" expression has always stuck with me, and now I feel very silly for not looking into Unfinished Tales myself. As with Gandalf arriving at Isengard at night, it shows that the answer is very often already there (and I personally never look quite hard enough to find it).

I wonder then if we arrived at that conclusion anyway by sheer coincidence or if we were subconsciously remembering Typescript B