View Single Post
Old 05-31-2002, 01:12 PM   #11
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

"I am in fact a hobbit in all but size." --J. R. R. Tolkien

I think Tolkien still thought of mankind as embodying the various races. Since in his letters to Christopher (when Christopher was in the field) he sometimes referred to bad men as Orcs, I don't see why he would not refer to good men as hobbits or whatever else seemed appropriate to him at the moment.

Just a thought. Yes, the age of men had come, but look carefully (Tolkien seemed to say) and you may see something else underneath the surface.

One other thought, regarding the Hobbits, that I believe Tolkien in his Catholicism would not have considered farfetched:

Unless you become like little children, you shall not see the kingdom of God.

I think one could argue that "becoming like little children" includes a sense of trust and simplicity. Without diminishing the maturity and responsibility and grandeur of Frodo and Sam, they also both lived in simple trust; Frodo in Gandalf; and Sam in Frodo and Gandalf, and in goodness in general. (Witness Sam's revelation when he sees the star glimmering in the west over the Ephel Duath; it renews his steadfast faith, and he goes on in spite of the gloom.)

Aragorn and Gandalf both chose to trust in simplicity (embodied in Frodo and Sam) even while they conducted their complex duties.