View Single Post
Old 09-14-2002, 12:36 PM   #29
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

It is quite extraordinary to see these early threads! Forgive me if my question has been answered on other early threads; I haven't found any which did.

Mithadan wrote:
Quote:
I have no real answer either, other than perhaps JRRT wanted to incorporate Atlantis into his mythos (he used to dream about the ever-rising wave and ultimately "assigned" this dream to Faramir). Akallabeth was the only way to bring that myth within his subcreated world.
This in answer to his [Mithadan's] initial question of why was Numenor destroyed when the Valar could simply have stopped Al-Pharazon.

While I do not have the intimate acquaintance with and understanding of The Silm which many of you have, I would like to ask whether the myth of Atlantis was the only flood myth which Tolkien was incorporating into his mythology? I am asking out of interest in questions of literary creation.

Bethberry