View Single Post
Old 10-07-2000, 12:51 PM   #16
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Ring

Haunting Spirit
Re: The Downfall of Numenor

Quote:
Nonetheless, the reader has the opportunity to gain what he or she may from the work, whether mere enjoyment and suspension of disbelief or theological inspiration.
thank you, Mithadan, I see your point But i lack knowledge in Norse and German mythologies, so i could not have been so bold to comment the influences of those legends on the problem of the Ban of the Valar. If my memory is not failing me, I made a remark there in my post, that I'm trying to have a little light on one, and only one (it was named another there) aspect of this problem. So, if we have any scholars of Nordic legend, they are welcome to fill the flaws of my post.

Quote:
I don't know if the Valar were quite as independent, or Illuvatar as distant, as you suggest.
thank you, mr Underhill, I simply wanted to underline that in that case Valar were completely dependent, performing Eru's will directly,without trace of their own decisions, not as usual, when Manwe, having general knowledge in what Eru's will was, was merely consulting, asking a good advice, if I am allowed to put it that way

Edited by: HerenIstarion at: 10/7/00 3:45:42 pm

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 11-22-2004 at 05:44 AM. Reason: code. In all instances language of the original retained. I don't speak like that now ;)
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote