View Single Post
Old 10-06-2000, 08:26 AM   #12
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Ring

Haunting Spirit
Re: The Downfall of Numenor

Voronwe, I don't really think Tuna was destroyed, but I have no arguments for now - gotta check some data. Correct plural for palantir is palantiri

Mithadan - You are right - there is nowhere mentioned Eru throwing stones at Ar-Pharazon , but, in fact, you never see him acting directly, save maybe in the uttermost beginning, when he made a vision of Ea and than made it to be. Really the whole burden of creating afterwords is loaded upon Valar's shoulders, they are those who create build, govern and make decisions, and they act with their own free will, and judge by their own, according the measure of each one's understending, wisdom and knowledge. Eru's figure is somehow dimmed and distanced, and valar are, I daresay, independent in their movements. But don.t forget this citation

Quote:
Then Manwe upon the Mountain called upon Illuvatar, and for that time laid down their goverment of Arda.
(Silm77, Akallabeth, p335)

So, we can assume, that, maybe, those erthquakes and all the stuff of falling stones were caused by Manwe, but now it was not wish of his own, or the councel of some of his mates, he acted as a puppet, a weapon of Eru - the decision was not Manwe's, and he was directly ordered by Illuvatar (as I said above, valar are creatures of the same rank as men are, and have no right to force men anyway). According to that i stated that numenorean's sleep was drawn by Eru himself. (even if those who made it possible practically - enchanted camping warriors, were Valar)

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 11-22-2004 at 05:28 AM.
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote