View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006, 09:20 PM   #502
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thornden's Brother and Sister Arrive

At the same time that Thornden was wading through a bunch of bushes, a fair haired, merry looking young woman was riding up towards the entrance to Edoras. Near her rode another figure, a boy, scarcely thirteen summers, if that. They both looked eagerly forward at the city built upon the hill.

“Here we are, Javan!” she called brightly to her companion. Javan urged his horse forward to her side.

“Do you suppose he got your letter? And is expecting us?”

“Oh, yes, I’m quite sure of it,” Medreth responded, for Medreth it was, Thornden’s sister, and his youngest brother rode with her, too. “I sincerely hope he hasn’t forgotten,” she added after a moment’s pause. “If he has, I don’t know what I shall do.”

“Probably knock his head in,” Javan responded knowingly. “I hope he hasn’t forgotten, too.” He didn’t say why, but his eyes sparkled with anticipation. He hadn’t seen his brother for nearly a year and was quite looking forward to the meeting.

In a few minutes, they reached the gate of the city and passed through. Medreth stopped her horse and turned towards one of the guards standing there.

“Excuse me, but could you tell me where the Hall of Eorl Eodwine is? I understand it used to be the White Horse Inn?” Yes, the guard knew of it, and in a moment, Medreth had acquired directions to the place. She smiled and thanked him and she and her brother went on.

In little time at all they reached the mead hall. With a clatter of hooves against the stones, they came into the courtyard and rode to the stables. Medreth dismounted in one swift and easy movement. She took the mare’s reins in her hands as she looked about her with curiosity. Her bright blue eyes studied the building that must be the hall, now apparently busy being added onto. A tug on her rein reminded her of the task at hand.

“Javan,” she said absently without turning. “Will you find the ostler or somebody to take the horses?”

“Sure thing!” Javen replied. He slipped off the horse, pressed his reins into Medreth’s extra hand, and walked into the stables to find the ostler.