View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 03:42 PM   #497
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Stigend dacided to straighten his back for a second before taking on the next log. Glancing around for the children he noticed that Garmund had disappeared. Lčođern and Cnebba were playing together at the back of the going-to-be Alder court.

Both Stigend and Modtryth had noticed that some tensions had been building up between the children but they had always been too busy or not having an unforced situation to take that up with Cnebba. Maybe I should have a word with those two right now? I could do with a little break anyhow, Stigend thought and started walking towards the children, stretching the jammed muscles on his back as he went.

“So, who’s leading?” he addressed the two as he reached them and sat down to the ground beside Cnebba. Both kids looked to him, but before Cnebba had time to open his mouth, Lčođern already answered: “I am! Cnebba only has two left!” With that she produced an irresistible smile. Stigend couldn’t but smile back to her. She really is charming little girl.

He took a look at his son and gripped him softly from the elbow. Aloud he said: “Don’t lose your concentration, Cnebba, or you lose the whole game”. Cnebba turned his face downwards and didn’t dare to look at his father but instead started ripping off some grass from between his legs. Stigend knew that Cnebba was fairly good in the game the children were playing. When they played it together, Stigend rarely had to fake a bad throw to keep the game even. Letting the girls win now aren’t we? So, he has seen me faking and uses the same method, I see.

As Cnebba avoided his eyes, he turned casually towards Lčođern and asked her, like in passing: “Where’s Garmund? I thought I saw him a while ago here but I haven’t heard your dad come around to call for him.” Now it was Lčođern's turn to start avoiding his eyes, picking hairs from her dress. There was clearly something wrong here.

Cnebba opened his mouth to help her: “Garmund lost the game and got angry for it! We don’t know where he went”.

Stigend looked at his son to the eye for a while until Cnebba ducked his gaze again. He took a bit firmer grip on his elbow and after a moment’s silence he said, looking at both of them in turns. “One should not take games that seriously”. Both children lifted their heads slowly and carefully to see what was to follow. “But was it just losing the game you played a while ago that made him angry?” He took again a bit tighter grip from Cnebba’s elbow and looked now straight into his eyes quite seriously: “Was it a fair game today?”

Cnebba tried to turn his head away but simultaneously Stigend let off from his elbow and grasped his chin with his hand. Slowly but firmly he turned Cnebba’s face to meet his own. “Have you been fair to Garmund? Answer me, Cnebba”.

“But we have such fun together!” Cnebba tried to answer, as a tear started forming in the corner of his eye. He wasn’t sure what was it exactly that he had done wrong this time although he had a faint idea of it. But what he knew for sure was, that if his father acted like that, then he was serious and he himself had done something wrong. Cnebba tried to escape the situation, but his father’s eyes were nailed on him and he couldn’t get away. So he just bursted to words.

“I mean... I mean Garmund is nice but he is so often working with Garstan and then we get great games going and then when Garmund comes back we need to explain him everything and still he doesn’t understand the game as we do and then we must correct him all the time and...” Cnebba had to draw a breath but Stigend didn’t let his eyes go.

“And Garmund’s adventures are always the same. Cnebba has funny new ideas that are nice!” Lčođern put in, trying to help Cnebba.

Stigend glanced at Lčođern and nodded slowly while thinking. Then he turned to Cnebba and asked calmly: “Answer me in earnest, Cnebba. How do you find Garmund’s ideas? Always the same or quite new and fun?”

“I’ve never heard many of the stories he tells while we play adventures”, Cnebba managed to mumble, his head down again as his father’s eyes had given him a chance to escape by looking the other way for a while.

“Alright you two. I understand what you mean and I hope you understand it too. But how do you think Garmund feels about this? It’s not his fault that he has to learn the trade. But when he comes from his duties you start to scorn him, right? How would that feel if it were you Lčođern, or you Cnebba?”

“I’m sorry dad. I hadn’t thought it that way...” Cnebba said slowly, his voice trailing off a bit. As Stigend glanced to Lčođern he thought he was seeing small tears in her eyes too.

“You should tell that to Garmund, and make an apology to him, I think. You know, it’s always easier to lose a friend than to gain one.” Stigend made a little pause, watching the two children fighting for courage to look at him and enduring the shame they had found in themselves. “And the sooner, the better, I say. You go and find Garmund and tell him you are sorry and make it a jolly reconciliation. And if all this is settled after the working-day is over, I’ll promise you a little game of adventure with me. Maybe I could talk Garstan over to join us, and Modtryth perhaps...” With that he noticed that both kids raised their heads and a flash of joy was to be read on their faces.

“Really dad? Mum would come too?” Cnebba asked. “My dad too? We all?” asked Lčođern in turn.

“I quess it could be settled. But I can’t promise it.” Stigend answered them, smiling now heartily to them both. He rose up patting both gently to the shoulders as he rose. “But at least I will come with you and plan an adventure anyone of you will not forget!” With that he winked an eye to both of them and straightened himself up. “Now you two have something to do and I have also. I hope to see you all three in the evening as friends again!”

Stigend turned and started back towards his site. I must discuss this whole issue with Garstan, and with Modtryth. Maybe it’s time for Cnebba to start learning the trade too?

Last edited by Nogrod; 08-24-2006 at 03:48 PM.