View Single Post
Old 08-04-2002, 07:45 AM   #369
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thalionyulma has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

DC & Luthien,
Okay… the reason I’m not really too hot about the elves becoming wraith is this. The elves have a different “life essence” than man. To become a wraith, your soul must be entrapped in this plane. But elves could not easily ignore the call of Mandos once their bodies were slain… so there were no record of it. It was this one thing, I believe that greatly filled Sauron w/ hate of the elves – he knew he could never control them. That’s why he relied on deception.
Though some elves have been under the Dark Lords’ thrall… none were said to have become wraiths. Orcs, perhaps, but it took Melkor a great deal of work and torture. Besides the elves of this timeline in our story are well aware of the Dark Lord. And Angband was destroyed… Beleriand was destroyed as well.

Now in regards to Dark Elves… they were led by Denethor over the mountains and eventually settled east of Mirkwood. (Okay they were the Laiquendi…)The reason they were called dark elves was because none of them ever saw the light of the two trees. The Nandor was said to have come from the Avari. And there Saeros was a Nandor in Thingol’s court… so they were probably “civilised” by this time.
(Don’t worry Rûdhchamion takes no offense! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )
Tragic? Naw… they had their own govern… their own rules, though they were nomadic. They were more cautious than any other of their kind. But when they were rallied, they fought for the common cause.

About the Rings… Sauron nearly recovered all except the 3 and the One he lost… and is looking for in our RPG time frame.

Why not just say… they’re twisted thralls of the dark Lord forced into servitude? Not wraith-elves. We are suppose to stick to Tolkien… and our story is somewhat connected to War of the Ring. Since this is after “The Hobbit” but before LOTR. Who knows…. Gilthalion may want us to save the captured elves and free them. After all during LOTR there were no news about elves fighting elves. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Okay… hope this made sense…

I’ll post after GW and Anarya posts… I don’t know what to make of Tara’s post (but its pretty good!) I’m just tired and all….
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]