View Single Post
Old 04-28-2003, 03:02 PM   #2
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Bethberry pushed some of her hair out of her face and succeeded only in smudging her cheek with dirt. She tried to pile more leaves into the paper recycling bag, but the wind blew them back into her face and onto the garden bed from which she had just raked them. This wasn't working. Perhaps she should simply try to do one job at a time.

Frowning as the leaves scattered further, she sat at the table, doodling over the writing pad in a way she had not done since, well, since she had stopped writing longhand and used WordPerfect.

"Now there was a misnomer if ever there was one," she thought. "WordPerfect. The awards and the speeches will never be word perfect in time." She briefly wondered about creating a Most Cunningly Shrewd Delegator and Taskmaster Award for Mithadan but then decided that he would enjoy such an award too much. "Maybe the Kick Me Award would be more fitting. Except he probably already thought that one up himself," she said aloud to the squirrels who were digging up her tulip bulbs.

Member Number 3145 looked down at her list of nominees and their claim to infamy. "Most obnoxious poster," "Fastest Delete Record," 'Most Outrageous Spelling Atrocities," "Not Another Elf Character Award," "Go Get Contacts; We're tired of Green Eyes."
She sighed. There were too many candidates for the "I haven't read all this thread yet" award. And this wasn't getting the real list done; there were too many Downers whose posts she really loved and admired. It was going to be a long ceremony. She hoped Mithadan would have enough wine at the tables. Then she remembered.

The caterers. She had forgotten. Bucklebury TakeAway could not do tofu, tempeh or meatless dishes. Neither would Anduin Seafood Savouries or Brandywine Edibles.

She pulled out her cellphone and rang up the Lorien Salad Queen Deli. "Hi, Sally, Beth here. Yeah, I'm great. Listen, I've got a last minute request. We need appetizers and mains for about two hundred. Vegetarian. For May 1st. Can you do it?" Member Number 3145 frowned at the news and silently cursed. Salads only. Sally gave her two other numbers to ring. Ruffage Restaurant and The Prancing Vegetarian. Bethberry chose the latter; she'd eaten there several times; it was worth a try. The cellphone rang and she began, "Hey, Vinnie,..."