View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 04:04 PM   #7
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Think that the Big Bad Battle Troll in the next sequence could have been Sauron, but PJ may have CGed the BBBT over the rigging that played Sauron. Viggo could have, in green screen, fought the infamous tennis ball, and this allowed PJ and WETA to decide what Aragorn would actually fight. PJ may have never really wanted a walking talking Sauron, but intentionally left the decision 'fuzzy' so that fanboys would have something to buzz about.
Yay! I know this one! The scene was indeed originally filmed as Aragorn fighting Sauron. It actually was Sauron in the scene, as opposed to the "infamous tennis ball". Later, they decided not to have Sauron show up at Morannon, but they wanted to keep the Aragorn fight footage. So they painted Sauron out of the fight and digitally inserted a troll instead.

Of course you can't tell for sure whether they truly intended to have Sauron in the scene, but it certainly appears from the BTS documentaries that that was the case.

If you're interested in this sequence and the change from Sauron to troll, it is contained in the "From Book to Script" documentary (I think that's what it's called) on the third disc of the set. They even have some of the original footage of Viggo fighting a giant Sauron.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote