View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Pipe

So here’s my two cents on some general issues we’d need to tackle on this first Day here together. Basically I think we have two issues: whom of us to check during the Night to come and whom to give the double-vote by Day and on which grounds – and what kind of problems there will be to make the double-vote significant in a benefical way. I would call the tasks “gathering information” and “influencing the game”.

Gathering information

With the best/worst case scenario there will be three people entering the afterworld during every Day-Night –cycle – in which time we are able to check the alignment of just one. So we will be actually knowing very little indeed. I mean even if there’d be Days with no lynch or if one Night-kill would fail to happen it will take only a few D-N –cycles when we have a situation where we only know the identities of let’s say 3 in comparison to 9 unknowns. It is not so good I kind of hoped for (yeah I really hadn’t too much time to check the rules that well before the game started).

But whom to check then with our precious few opportunities to do that?

Obviously we should pay heed to which solid knowledge could help the village the most if / when someone comes here to pay a visit and will resurrect back to the Living to share the news.

Also if someone has acted very suspiciously in the Living Thread (or is the phantom) or we have other strong reasons to believe someone is a wolf (like s/he acts suspiciously here) that person should be our number one candidate for checking.

But what if we don’t have a clear candidate – or don’t agree on one (in the end we’ll vote, of course)? Are there any other grounds for choosing the person whose alignment to reveal? I mean that might be something we need to ponder now early in the game – unless we get enough controversial people here…

Just looking a bare numbers one might think the lynched are slightly more probably wolves than the Night kills so checking them would be more benefical. Then again the wolves can sway the lynch-vote (which I think could have happened on D1), especially in this game where there are no evident traces left from any last minute mate-saving efforts. So the wolves seem to be better in saving their mates from lynching this time which would mean the Night kills would be the more probable source of wolves pouring in here?

It’s hard to say. I kind of hoped this thinking would have led me into some decent advice we could take when in doubt – but sadly it doesn ‘t seem to be that way.

Influencing the game

After reading the rules more carefully I found another setback here (the other being that we don’t know so much I thought, discussed above). Our ability to influnce the vote is more or less random – and in no way have we control over what happens in the lynching of the Living Thread unless by chance as the last minute frenzy might turn the voting to whichever direction – and later on when we have more people here the same frenzy will spread to this thread as well.

It will come as no suprise to you I didn’t like the phantom’s grand plan on D1 and even if I do admit it has some merit in principle (as a nice thought-experiment) it is in no way executable (the suggestion can be found from #34). First of all it is questionable we get that kind of a nice setting where we can pick from three different person from both sides of the lynchees with an unanimous understanding of the way the Living will interpret it. Secondly the last minute mayhem will prove a problem here as well as the majority of the votes could be coming in at the last minutes and there might just not be time to elaborate the “rules of interpretation” not to say being able to execute the correct vote from this thread.

So I’d say we try – at least on the early days – to just give an extra vote to someone who is voting for someone we think is more probably a wolf than not. It would be a nice bonus if there would be someone we think of as a particularly innocent voting that person we suspect and give our extra-vote to her/him to kind of show whom we tend to trust that person (later on we might actually have some real reasons to trust someone or suspect someone – reasons the living don’t have).

~*~

I do not like to try and set anything in stone or make rules to ourselves as the game can surprise and we can’t foresee all the situations that will emerge – but I hope these thoughts could serve as the beginning of our discussion on D2 when we have to decide whom to give the extra vote – and N3 when we need to select one of us to be revealed.

A few Days and Nights from now the situation might be something we can’t even imagine now it being.

Btw. as an European (although an European on semi-vacation) I am not able to hang out around the DL (the DL is 5am here), so I’ll be withdrawing something like 3-4 hours before the DL the latest – in principle.

Looking forwards having company here! (I should be around in something like 12 hours from now - like six hours after the Day starts)
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote