View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 03:24 PM   #182
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420! Not a euCATastrophe

I wonder if this dream--nightmare really-- means I'm missing rčd?

I dreamt I was reading over threads, catching up, after missing most of the action all this week, but everywhere I looked, I saw, well, maybe the proof's in the details.

I went to The White Horse Inn thread in Rohan, and there was Imladris posting post after post about Goldwine the cat, after, like, being away for months and months. Then I checked in on the long and winding road that is the Reunification of the Entish Bow and there I saw the gamers catching it from Game Manager Esty. Thinking I was suffering from a surfeit of seriousness, I decided to check out Mirth.

And oh the shock I had there! On the 'How do you imagine other BDers' thread, Downers were being described as cats! davem was a large, self-satisfied persian who merely flicked his tail insouciantly at others while Lal was said to be a British Angora! the phantom was padding around like a smug siamese. Rimbaud had become an American long hair while Fordim, a Canadian hairless. Lhuna was a beloved burmese and Eorl of Rohan was a skittish Kasmir. The Barrow Wight himself had become an Egyptian Mau and Mister Underhill was a Singapura while Sharkey had become a Ruffle! And lo and behold I was being called a Manx!

Shaking my head in disbelief, my dream self then sought out the Reputations list, hoping to find some sort of normalcy there. But what did I find! On the reputations list, burra had changed his name to tabbyhobbit while Squatter had become The Squatter of Brooklyn Rex.

A quick review of Active Topics showed me that Eomer's Warg thread had become The Feline Appreciation thread and Crazy Cattions was devoted entirely to screen shots of Orlando Bloom with fluffy creatures, while in Books, the hottest thread was What colour was Legolas's cat's hair?.

A new thread in Mod G (the moderator's forum) had been started to discuss not trolls and monkeys but feral cats and the moderators had chosen to rename themselves the gypsy cats.

Worst of all, Tig's--and oh how that name took on new meaning--photogallery had become The Barrow Downs Pet Cemetary, with pictures of Lush's and Estelyn's dearly deceased cats.

I tossed, I turned, I pulled the sheets over and over me, incurring the wrath of my pet cat, who sleeps by my pillow. She walked all over me!

I woke in a chilled sweat. Was this the beginning of the end for the Barrow Downs? Were we in truth "posting the cat"? A deep sense of emptiness incarnate filled me as I rose to let my cat out the door.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 10-14-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote