View Single Post
Old 12-09-2022, 08:49 PM   #599
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I think Amarie is a lot more conflicted than some of her lines imply. She's working through some stuff: one moment it's "Heed me, my heart, help him rise"; the next it's "Send your lament / over this desert of grief". But also, yes: Camp (and the Ballad to Amarie) are both about Finrod realising a) his breakup was entirely his own doing, and b) maybe it's not entirely hopeless.
I think what I would object to is Finrod having any even remotely objective knowledge of Amarie. A glimpse in a dream - absolutely, but so long as it is nothing resembling certainly, not a "seek for the sword that was broken" type of dream. He should wake up wondering if he imagined the whole thing. This has absolutely no bearing on the Zong lines, but it just feels important to me that Finrod (or any of the Exiles, for that matter) shouldn't have any certain knowledge of the people who stayed. The uncertainty is part of the deal. Even if Amarie's song can't quite be called forgiveness, the fact that she clearly is torn and the reason is that she still has feelings for him... well, I wouldn't want Finrod to know that. It would ruin something in his story. It would give him premature reassurance, and he is supposed to enter Prison Duet thinking his life was a worthless failure. But again, this has no bearing on the lines of this song, I don't think, I just need to imagine it all spoken in such a way that Amarie and Finrod can both have a voice but not to spoil the dream effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Perhaps we can put their wedding in the credits.
If you write some text, I will put it to music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
I can sing this. It feels a little fast maybe? I don't feel like I have room to let any of the lines die away, because I'm always scrambling to get to the next one. But within the lines they feel about right, so I don't really know. :-/
The original was at 80 bmp. This recording is 70 bmp for the first half, and 60 for the second, to try both speeds. Let me know which works best.

I haven't really done much Zonging lately, but I did touch up Appeal again and rewrote portions of Beren's stanza that annoys me so much (Carefree is your life). I am calling it "Remastered 1" because I still don't feel quite satisfied with the result and have a sneaking suspicion that this piece won't let me rest until I get it right.

PS: I did watch Matilda the Musical, as promised. Cool stuff! My favourite role, hands down, was Mr. Wormwood. The show was made for him. But Miss Trunchbull was a close second. Favourite song? The creepy alphabet one. I loved the concept, very cleverly written.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 12-11-2022 at 04:20 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote