View Single Post
Old 01-26-2003, 08:05 PM   #270
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Oh, Eru ainu, Don, you're going to make me break down," Rie said, laughing a little too loudly. "I know my father would be proud of me, but I'm still not ready to go home. Besides, you just said you wouldn't leave me. How fair would it be for me to leave you? I have all the family I need here. I love my family, my brothers and parents, but I know I'll see them again. Who knows? Maybe they'll come to the Inn, looking for me. I hope they don't, though--I'd be in serious trouble then!" Rie laughed again, a genuine laugh, this time. "Oh, Barîm. I'm going to cry. Let's talk about something else, why don't we!"

She saw Don grinning at her as she wiped her eyes hastily with sleeve. "Quit grinning at me. I'm going to cry. You think you don't like crying in front of people? If I cried, I heard about it for weeks from my brothers."

"You can cry in front of me," Don said in a consoling voice. Rie smiled weakly and sat down.

"You can cry in front of me, too," Rie countered. "Ah! Why do I have to turn everything into an argument? Oh, Barîm, I always do that." She laughed once more, then let herself cry.