View Single Post
Old 02-19-2004, 12:35 PM   #34
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
It's hard to fight against your intellect, Saucepan Man!
Then don't.

We are, I think, more or less in agreement on the depiction of magic in LotR, Fungus. While, ultimately, the ability to use "magical" power does derive from Eru, I agree that "Morgul sorcery" represents a corruption of such power, by virtue of it having been channelled through Morgoth (whom Eru created).

I take your point about the implied presence of Chrisitianity in HP, although it does not follow that a Christian God actually exists in HP's world. But, assuming that He does, why should "magical" power be any more or less acceptable than it is in LotR?

Quote:
(a) It does not have its source in God
Why not? In a world where humans were created by God, and where some humans have the power to use magic, then surely He created them with that power.

Quote:
(b) it is given the name of witchcraft, which is clearly condemned in the Bible
A rose by any other name ...

Quote:
(c) It is often used to a sinful purpose
So is "magic" in LotR. A you say, "Morgul sorcery" represents a corruption by Morgoth of power bestowed by Eru. In the same way, can the use of magic for evil purposes in HP not represent a corruption (by a "Fallen Angel" originally created by God) of power bestowed by God? The use of magic for good purposes, on the other hand, should be acceptable since it is furthering His will.

Do you see my point? If HP does take place in a monotheistic world, like Middle-earth, then one can view magic in the same way in both worlds. If it does not, then none of the powers exercised, whether magical or not, derive from God and so the use of "witchcraft" in HP's world should be no more (and no less) objectionable than any other action in that world.