Thread: In War
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2003, 04:04 PM   #48
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Eru, are all men the same? Exasperated, Eorlyn studied the young man in front of her. Maybe it was time to tell those men what they did to girls they "married off" as he had called it. But that wouldnīt do, she didnīt even know Rhys properly. She couldnīt just go lecture him about freedom and desires of women! But her lips seemed to form words on their own, without her help.

"You asked me earlier if I was a daughter of Rohan. That I most indeed am, and not only in heritage. Iīm sure you heard about the maidens of Rohan to be especially independent. Well, that I am. And so I must tell you that I am appaled by this buisiness of marrying women off, of huckstering them like a prize horse or a precious jewel. 'Someone rich', you say. Tell me, if that someone would be utterly detestable and old enough to be the girlīs father, would any of you men mind? Truly, Iīm sure you love your sister, Rhys. But would you stop to consider if this was for the girlīs good? Oh yes, you will say, for a woman can find her true place in this world only in marriage. Do you really think that? Do you really think we girls want to be locked into cages, want to know our purpose before we are even 25? If you really think so, I feel sorry for you. But if you donīt, then donīt act as if you would. It will only cause unhappiness."

She looked around. People were staring at her, and she realized her voice must have been very loud. What had she been thinking? They must take her for insane now!

"Please excuse me for a moment" she wispered, then fled the room full of staring, bewildred faces. She ran into the stables and sank together next to Storm.

"Oh Storm," she wispered, sobbing.
"I messed it up again. I messed it all up."