View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 09:33 AM   #167
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Azhar:

Although her body lay silent and unmoving trapped within the shadowy dreamworld, Azhar had no trouble seeing and hearing what was going on. As Carl and Vrór emerged into the pit, her heart rang with gladness. This was the help the voice had promised when it had whispered in her ear. The young girl instinctively understood that the Dwarf and the Hobbit could be trusted. But where was the other one, the one who had actually touched her mind as she lay frozen and alone in the bleak depths of despair? Something inside told Azhar that it was important she see and meet the man who had come to her that night with his promise of hope and safety.

Almost immediately, Kwell and the others had begun questioning how they were to somehow convey her body through the deep water to the freedom that lay beyond. Azhar was about to assure the hobbit that she was an excellent swimmer and to explain how she had often slipped away to the Sea to swim and bathe while supposedly deliverying messages for the guards. But before the girl could even open her mouth, she remembered with dismay that she was still sprwled out on the floor of the pit, and had no earthly idea how to put her spirit back into her body, and awake to the conscious world.

Azhar might have continued to lie there, doing nothing and simply relying on Kwell and the two rescuers to figure out an answer to her problem. Back on the slave plantation, this is exactly what she would have done. But a few weeks spent on her own had given her a bit more backbone. As she heard Kwell becoming stubborn, refusing to go with the rescuers or even cooperate with them, she found herself becoming increasingly angry. What a stubborn boy! Didn't he understand their situation and the fact that these two had come a long way just to help them out?

She had to get back inside her body and give him a word or two to prod him along in the right direction. Azhar had no intention of being left behind in this horrible place and she would make sure Kwell understood that. She thought for a moment and then remembered how the great cat had appeared from nowhere in her head and then without warning had changed back. She knew he had done something to make that change possible, to have tapped into some piece of himself that lay hidden within his mind. He had done it so easily. Maybe if she could tap into that same place within her own head, she could at least manage to get herself back into her body.

A moment later, and the trick was done. The body sprawled on the floor groaned and moved, tentatively at first and then with a greater show of energy. Azhar flexed one leg and then the other, twiddling her fingers and staring down at them to be sure they were there. She awoke with a splitting headache, the worst she could ever remember. But except for that and the fact that her fever still raged, she didn't really feel that bad. Abruptly sitting up, she cried out words of assurance to her friend, "Kwell, it's alright. These are the rescuers I told you about. If we don't go with them, we'll never get out of here. Don't worry about me. I can walk and swim. Just lead the way and I'll follow."

Repositioning her feet under her body, Azhar struggled to her knees and wobbily stood up. Her cheeks were white and flushed. Her hand instinctively reached out to the pit wall for support. She took one step forward, grimaced, and almost fell. Glaring over at the others, she stubbornly retorted, "I'm fine. Let's get out of here. I never want to see the inside of a pit again."

Last edited by Tevildo; 09-08-2006 at 12:37 PM.