View Single Post
Old 06-11-2004, 09:49 AM   #345
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Riposte

Hello Tapestry of Writers,

I'll be away today, but here's the skinny on the swamp-elf.

A thousand years ago, he was wandering in the White Mountains, and a lovely singing elf-maiden came his way. He fell for her, wooed her passionately, and was repulsed. Nimrodel stated that she was only interested in Amroth and would never leave him.

That elf, in his brokenhearted bitterness, cursed both Nimrodel and Amroth. Hence Nimrodel's wandering, despair, and insanity, and Amroth's drowning and isolation.

Of course, the forlorn and rejected elf then heard the songs and tales, and realized if anyone knew he was responsible he would never be popular again-- so, calling himself Tharonwe he went into voluntary exile. Not wanting to cross the vast lands of the East during Sauron's reign, Tharonwe settled for the cave in a swamp. He's bitter, lonely, angry, isolationist, and not exactly in league with the good Valar.

Once Tharonwe realises, or guesses, or intuits or Osanwes or whatever, that Raefindan has some (vague and distant) connection with Nimrodel (through Mithrellas), he will have someone to vent his anger on. Will he do that physically, mentally, or both? With what resources and what intent? I dunno. Have fun.

I've sent Ravion on alone after Gond and left the two ladies and Aeron collapsed in the middle of the swamp. (Alligators? Snakes? Watchers in the Water??)

Have fun! I plan to return tonight.

ps. I edited the timeline, it's at the link in my sig. I didn't put in the post numbers... I'll try to do better as we go.