View Single Post
Old 12-12-2003, 11:14 PM   #232
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When they reached the front door of the Inn of the Seventh Star, Isabel waited as Avarlond opened the heavy door for her and, rather pompously, she thought, took her elbow and guided her over the threshold into the common room of the inn. There was already a fairly good-sized crowd present, which surprised her as for the last several months the inn had been closed tighter than a oyster at low tide. She was pleased to see such a turnout now that its doors stood open again.

"She's here," Avarlond said to her in low voice, interrupting her thoughts. He nodded into the crowd at the two elves who were present. "I'm not sure which she is, but I am certain she is one of them."

Isabel nodded and allowed Avarlond to lead her to a table. She was a tall, slender woman, with a graceful air about her. Her long ash blond hair flowed down her back like a veil as she made her way across the room. Her fiancée had once told her that she reminded him of one of those long-legged, white, wading birds they saw so often standing, still and mysterious, in the shallows around the river deltas. He said she had the same elegance and fragile grace. In return, she had told him that he was a scoundrel and a shameless flatterer, and he had only laughed in response, but not denied it. The conversation had only happened a few short months ago, but now it seemed like years. First Mate on a sailing vessel, he had taken what was supposed to be only a short trading mission across the Bay of Belfalas to Umbar, but now the ship was growing overdue. No one had heard from anyone on board in weeks, and Isabel was beginning to fear that the ship had been lost at sea. So, she had sent a note to Avarlond, Airefalas’ older brother. Perhaps, she thought, he had heard something, but he had not. What he did know was that the merchant ship was co-owned by an elven woman by the name of Piosenniel. He thought he knew where he might find her.

Isabel didn’t know how Avarlond would know such a thing, but she decided not to ask. A powerful merchant, himself, he knew lots of things. Actually, she was a little bit surprised that he did not already have a passing acquaintance with this Piosenniel. He seemed to know everyone else of consequence.

Taking her seat, Isabel turned a quick glance around the room. She smiled happily when she caught sight of her friend Edelis, who was seated at a table by herself. Catching Edelis’ eye, Isabel waved. Smiling warmly, Edelis waved back.

“Your friend?” asked Avarlond, following her gaze.

“Oh, yes,” answered Isabel with a soft laugh. “Actually, I’ve just come from a wedding she hosted for her cousin, Elliana. It was quite a lovely affair. Poor Edelis! She must be exhausted.”

“I can imagine,” answered Avarlond absently, his dark eyes still studying the crowd on the other side of the room. He was a stern man, fortyish, with a handsome, though rather craggy face that was prone to frowning more often than not. So different from his younger brother. While Airefalas had definite waggish tendencies, Avarlond struck Isabel as an awful grind...but a good-hearted grind. She knew he cared deeply for the welfare of his brother.

“May I ask her to join us?” Isabel asked, indicating Edelis with a gesture.

Still standing beside Isabel’s chair, Avarlond nodded. “But of course. I will find the innkeeper. Word has it that Mr. Rimbaud is no longer here. Ah!” - he broke off abruptly - “I see the fellow now.”

“Ladies..” he nodded politely, first to Isabel and then to Edelis across the room, then turned and walked purposefully across the common room in the direction of the innkeeper. Isabel watched him go, then got to her feet. Rather than making Edelis get up and come to her, she decided to join Edelis at her table, provided she was welcome.

“Edelis!” she said, arriving before her friend. “What a lovely wedding you put on for dear Elliana. She must be so happy.’

“Oh, yes,” Edelis smiled. “Today she is the happiest I think I have ever seen her. Oh, but you should have seen her yesterday - what a nervous wreck!”

The two women shook their heads, clucking sympathetically, as Edelis offered Isabel a seat beside her. Dropping her voice, Edelis asked softly, “And what of Airefalas? Any word?”

Isabel shook her head. “None,” she replied growing suddenly serious. “Actually that’s what brings me here. The gentleman I arrived with is his brother. We came seeking information. He believes we may find the co-owner of the ship and the wife of the captain here at the inn.”

Edelis’ eyebrows raised slightly. “Both of them? Well, that’s a bit unscrupulous, isn’t it? The owner and the wife of the captain?”

Isabel paused for a moment in bewilderment then began to chuckle. “Oh, no, no...it’s not like that at all. They are one and the same. One person, I mean.”

“Oh!” Edelis began to laugh as well, tears of mirth rising in her eyes. “Oh, dear. I am tired.”

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:39 AM December 13, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]