View Single Post
Old 10-23-2003, 08:04 AM   #117
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Tallas

"Tallas, Old man, come out! We wish to... trade with you," a mans voice called over the creek of his old chair, but still he rocked back and forth, a slight grin curving his lips and his hand gripping the staff at his side.

"I Said, come out Tallas. We wish to trade with you!" the voice cried again this time with a slight edge of annoyance, "well it looks like I'm to go to them," he grinned. As he rose from the chair he rocked it so the creaking would continue long enough for him to reach the tree line a short distance away from the direction of their calls.

As he circled behind the trespassers he heard, "We'll 'ave to deal with this one my way, boyo" and the soft sobs of a woman, silently stepping out from the trees behind the two villains and beside the young elf he placed a gentle hand on her shoulder and as she looked up, her eyes glistening with the sadness and fear he had seen only in his dreams, he smiled, his kind eyes sympathising with her plight, then placing one finger gently to his lips, silencing her, he turned and let out a polite cough to catch the attention of the two men who where studying intently his home.

"Now what's the meaning of disturbing an old mans rest!" he said sternly, leaning hard on his staff as the two men whirled round. The darker of the two men cast him a dark menacing look while the other remained calm, speaking before the other had chance too.

"My apologies Tallas, we seek only to trade with you," he bowed courteously, the words slipping of his tongue effortlessly, like a snakes hiss, Tallas thought to himself.

"But what would an old man have to trade that might interest two young men such as yourselves?" he said acting surprised at such a request.

"Enough!" the second man bellowed, earning him a sharp look from his friend, no accomplice Tallas thought seeing The swarthier man return the look. "Are you going to trade with us or not?" he growled his temper raising.

"What do you have that an old man would need?" he smiled looking the two men up and down, then turning his gaze to the elf woman. "What about her! can she cook and clean? I am getting on in years and could use someone to tend my house," he smiled kindly looking down on her.

"No! she's mine!" the darker man growled placing himself between Tallas and the elf woman, the old man passively stepped back, noting the slight jerk of the mans arm, as if he slid something to his palmed hand. "Then you have nothing to trade with!" he said sternly. "We has gold!" the man answered impatiently. Tallas lowered his head and laughed, "You don't understand" he said looking up at the two villains, a threatening gleam in his grey eyes.

"Wait, now I'm sure we can work something .... " Anavill began as Barrold glared angrily at the old man, but he was abruptly cut off, "I gave you the chance to do the right thing in releasing the elf to my care, I do not treat with ruffians and scoundrels, you shall have not while I still drew breath!" he threatened.

"That's fine with me old man!" Barrold hissed and Tallas quickly shifted his staff across his body as an object left the ruffians hand, the knife imbedded its self in to the wood of the staff just at the old mans chest, "Very nice," he grinned impressed "Now my turn, " and before Barrold could react and quicker than one would expect the old man to move, he hit Barrold hard under the chin with his staff and with the same momentum swept his legs out from under him, then hearing the other mans sword being drawn from its sheath he gripped the staff with both hand, twisted the top and pulled out a long thin flat bladed sword of is own, the two swords rang as they connected and Anavill pushed hard to lower the old mans hand, Tallas looked him in the eyes and whispered, "Your father would have been ashamed of you, if he was alive!" but there was no malice in his words only pity, but as Anavill faltered at his words he used the staff in his other hand to hit the younger man hard in the stomach, sending him sprawling backwards.

As the two men struggled to their feet, he quickly pulled the still imbedded knife from his staff and threw it so it struck the tree the elf woman was tied too, just below the ropes that bound her and with a smile in her direction he turned back to meet his fate.