View Single Post
Old 10-21-2003, 04:56 PM   #112
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Dúlrain

Dúlrain was relieved when his old friend agreed to let him look upon his wife, but still he remained cautious, it could still be some kind of trap! he thought to himself, watching his old friends back, he wondered what had happened to him. Kaldir talked pleasantly regarding the customs of the remote tribes of the Haradwaith and Dúlrain couldn't be sure but he thought he heard an edge of warning in his voice.

'Perhaps I was wrong and in my eagerness to find some clue of Naiore I perceived more than there was' he thought silently as Kaldir or Camlis as he now called himself introduced him to his companions, Dúlrain nodded politely to each in turn as they spoke greetings to him, then he watched the veiled woman as Kaldir explained and relayed his request to her.

"As you wish. Husband." she bowed, Dúlrains hand had cautiously sifted back to the hilt of his sword, as the veiled woman, Ailayla gripped her reigns in one tattooed hand and slowly used the other to raise the dark fabric of her veil. Slowly Dúlrain bent forward to get a better look at the woman's face. He sensed the woman's lips move but he found he could not stop himself from staring deep into her dark amber eyes, never before had he seen a woman so beautiful as the one before him, even when she lowered her eyes he found himself studying her olive features, only the sound of the horse beside him shifting brought the attention of the others back to him, 'What am I doing? this is my friends wife !' he silently scolded himself.

He nodded once and deliberately turned away from the woman to face Kaldir, "Satisfied?" his old friend began to ask, but his words trailed as he involuntarily closed his eyes and lowered his head. Dúlrain's brotherly bond instantly returned and concern mark his tanned face and with each flinch his brow creased more. He could not see his friends face but knew he must be reliving some old pain.

"No!" came a deep almost feral growl, then Kaldir raised his head, Dúlrain was surprised by the savage determination in his friends eyes. "Are you all right?" He ventured, leaning forwards.

"A lingering illness," was the harsh reply. "Are you satisfied that my wife is not the one you seek?"

Slightly taken aback by his harsh tones Dúlrain moved back and replied cautiously, "Yes. I see now I was mistaken." He paused still worried for his old friend. "If you are not well..." he began but Kaldir cut him off abruptly, assuring him that he was fine.

"Then, I will leave you good people to your own affairs," Dúlrain said, he was disheartened that his friend did not recognise him and he felt that something was being kept from him, but he had other business that he should be attending too, so he turned to leave.

"The second sword you wear at your side... how came you by it?"

Dúlrain halted at Kaldir's words, Does he remember something! he thought as he looked down at the sword by his side, slowly turning he looked Kaldir in the eye and answered....

"It once belonged to a loyal, brave and just young ranger, brothers in all but blood we once were." he smiled weakly, but as he continued the smile fell "But he was lost at Raven falls over twelve years ago, all I found of him was his blood strewn cloak and the sword that I believed could only be parted from him in death."

Dúlrain then slowly slid the sword from its sheath, holding the hilt and laying the blade across his left arm he held it out towards his friend. "If he asks it of me I would gladly return it to him." he whispered giving Kaldir a knowing look.