View Single Post
Old 10-19-2003, 12:01 PM   #107
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rauthain

When Amandur and Rauthain had finished with their preparations, Rauthain slipped away, leaving the parlor to hail Nob, who had not yet answered the bell. When he returned he carried a small tray with paper, pen and ink stand which he placed before Amandur. Taking up the pen, Amandur composed a hurried note to Dúlrain describing whither they were heading, and after signing it, he penned a small sketch of a portion of the map before him.

The hobbit, cocking his head, tried to read the message, but finding it written in Sindarin sat back in his chair again, eyeing the rangers with mistrust. “I’ll gladly show you the way myself,” he offered shrewdly. “Of course I’d expect to be compensated for putting myself at such risk. Ferny would not likely be happy with me if he finds I was persuaded to lead you there.”

Toby Longholes truly had an interest in helping the rangers to find Barrold Ferny in the midst of some shady business and was banking on his removal from his current dominance in Bree’s more seamy society, depositing him preferably behind a solid locked door. That would take him down a peg or two, teach him to not discount his fellows, and fill Toby’s pockets as well, giving the hobbit a better chance to expand his own influence beyond petty thievery. Ferny always was a volatile, unpredictable factor and Toby would not be the only one to feel unburdened by his premature “retirement”. There was the risk though; that all would not go as planned and Ferny would discover who helped the rangers ferret him out. This Toby preferred not consider too closely, knowing that if it went awry he could make his way to the Shire where Barrold could not follow him. There were advantages to being a hobbit, and knowing that the king indirectly protected him in his treachery, Toby found quite humorous.”

“I would not have it any other way Master Longholes!” said Rauthain folding the small map again, as Amandur dried and sealed the message. “Though I will not say the price for your service until we have seen success.”

Before Toby had the chance to protest, a sharp knock was heard at the door. Léspheria opened it admitting Nob. He was out of breath and carrying some additional small items, one of which was wrapped in leather. “Excuse me my lady,” he managed, passing her to set the things down on the table. “I have your horses ready out in the yard.”

“Thank you Nob.” Amandur said picking up the folded note. “Perhaps you would do one more errand. We are expecting two more of our brethren to come looking for us here, Maethor and Dúlrain by name. If you would give them this, it is quite important and you and your master Butterbur should keep a sharp look out for them, for they should see it as quickly as possible.”

“Yes Sir, I will tell him straight away.”

“It’s not to wait until after the morning rush!” added Rauthain.

“No Sir,” replied Nob vanishing out the door. The others followed close behind him down the narrow hallway and out into the yard. Two horses stood hitched by the door and a third, stately and black, came shortly after at Amandur’s bidding. “You will be riding with me,” Rauthain informed the hobbit gesturing to a brown stallion with an unkempt black mane and tangled tail.

“Much obliged,” Toby replied in sarcastic tones “I thought as much. I shall stand out like the beacons of Gondor on that beast.”

“Would you stand out any less on a nobler steed, glossy and well kept?” Rauthain laughed. “Up Master Longholes, we must help poor Barrold Ferny’s family escape a bounty hunter as you said, and bounty hunters are to my experience early risers!”

Rauthain helped the hobbit on to the horse before mounting it himself. But he grew distracted as they made their way through Bree using only the side roads at Toby’s urging. The mention of Kaldir’s name had not been lost on Rauthain and that he too might be seeking out Naiore troubled him. To what purpose would Kaldir look for her unaided? Bounty? Not likely, such a bounty would carry a high personal cost. Or revenge? Maybe. But there was also the chance that she could yet have a hold on his will. This, distasteful as it was, became forefront in Rauthain’s mind, for if Naiore had a plan in the north, having Kaldir in her grasp could prove useful, for there were still many rangers who would welcome Kaldir back as a brother should he be convinced to leave his current way of life.

At last the group approached a lonely and ramshackle farmhouse surrounded by various outbuildings, which the hobbit had indicated as Barrold’s. Leaving the horses behind a rocky rill they silently closed the last distance on foot, Rauthain pulling the reluctant Toby along with a firm grip on his sleeve.

[ October 20, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]