View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 04:48 AM   #58
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Let's not let the physical embodiments of these beings lead us astray: Gandalf and Galadriel have known each other for thousands of years and I think Tolkien let's us understand they have a close relationship (which doesn't have to mean anything sexual to be sure) and they seem to admire each other... and they're the guardians of the rings... So bringing that part of their mutual history forwards looks like a decent addition (comparing to many other ones others and I have already said we hated in the LotR).
Indeed. They're very old friends so why wouldn't they be touchy-feely? Personally, I got over my shock that they weren't doing The Hobbit 'straight' a long time ago and I admit I'm quite interested and even excited to see how this stuff with The White Council pans out. I'm sure this scene is something to do with that. And aside from anything else, it might give me a chance to see Chris Lee as Saruman on screen again.

The new cast members chosen really are good choices. People outside the UK might not know them all very well or even at all because most of them are best known from TV shows in the UK. Richard Armitage is a fantastic actor and can turn his hand to any number of different roles. He's outshone anything Colin Firth could do in a costume drama lead role and stole the show in Robin Hood. Though I have to say in response to the dubbing of Aidan Turner as 'Kiligolas' that here you have pinpointed the wrong man. It's Armitage that has the fanatical following, including 'The Armitage Army'.

Aidan Turner himself is a great choice. He was vampire Mitchell in Being Human. I tend to think that he was chosen not for his looks but because Being Human has a devoted cult following and his presence will reel in the SF geeks.

Martin Freeman I've said all along would make the perfect Bilbo. In The Office, the whole series ended up not being about the Ricky Gervais character but about Freeman's character Tim, and his relationship with Dawn.

This is without even considering Ken Stott, James Nesbitt, Sylvester McCoy (another geek pleasing choice) and Benedict Cumberbatch. The only choice that I hate is Barry Humphries as the Great Goblin which reduces the role to pure pantomime, and I'm not convinced Stephen Fry won't chew up the scenery.