Thread: Itaril
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 09:41 PM   #104
TheMisfortuneTeller
Haunting Spirit

TheMisfortuneTeller has just left Hobbiton.
Time for a Bladder Break

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
... you don't really expect small details like that to get in the way of the Powers That Be, do you?
To paraphrase Inspector Clouseau: "I expect nothing [good] and I expect everything [bad]." Therefore, I occasionally find life a pleasant surprise. Optimists, on the other hand, have little to look forward to but perpetual disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Like having Faramir do in the Two Towers movie the opposite of what he did in the book?
Regarding Faramir's behavior towards the Ring and the Ring-bearer: the movie did deviate markedly from the book -- pretty much to drag out the Ring-bearer story line so as to better inter-cut it with the Helm's Deep and Isengard thread endings. Otherwise, the book's consolation-prize pairing of Faramir and Lady Eowyn does get a brief nod in the film at the King Aragorn coronation. Regardless, none of this Faramir meddling -- and much else besides -- can compensate for losing The Scouring of the Shire and the proper demise of Saruman at the hands of the Hobbits whom he victimized. The inflated romance between Aragorn and Arwen -- which Tolkien relegated to the Appendices -- adds nothing to compensate for this loss in the films. And I have every suspicion that this whole-cloth elf-chick invention of Peter Jackson's will do equally nothing but detract from the story of the hobbit Bilbo Baggins, ostensibly the [anti-] hero of these films.

If nothing else, though, I now know when to get up and take a bladder break during the films.