View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 06:04 AM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I do have to say that it was an extremely ugly house and Tolkien wrote no major work there. It would have been a relatively new build when they moved in. I didn't take any pictures of it when it was standing out of respect for the privacy of the then residents so I can't show you how ugly it was but I assure you that his legacy is not reduced by it's absence. It is about half a mile from Sandbanks which is the most expensive real estate area in the country where they are tearing down five year old houses because they aren't quite what their Russian oligarch owners want so unless it had outstanding architectural merit it was doomed. Lakeside Road isn't quite in that league but I expect the developers will make nigh on a million even in the current climate.

What remains and might make you feel a closeness to Tolkien is the location. It backs on to Branksome Chine which is a steep wooded gully running down to the sea and is quite lovely. If I find my pictures I will scan them in. There are fantastic views of the sea from the end of the road.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote