View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 11:11 AM   #408
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ealasaide
I wish I could have a proper garden, but, living in a condo, I am reduced to container gardening, although I do have definite ambitions toward creating a container jungle out there on my balcony...
Pollinators on your balcony: no problem. They'll find you. Plant the plants, and don't spray them when they come! Lots of flying things can pollinate: moths, bees, wasps, even bumblebees will do the trick. Leave them alone while they are hunting pollen and you should have no problems. I love my wasps; I stand a few inches away, and they are far too busy to bother me. (I don't wear perfume, so they don't think i'm a flower... if you do wear perfume, that's another story.)

Veggies on the balcony: if it's sunny, no problem. Not quite hobbit-like, but probably very Gondorian, and maybe elvish too in places like Gondolin.

A friend of mine grew morning glories in tubs and window boxes on his balcony, and put up strings here and there, and had a LOVELY balcony jungle.

EDIT: whups, Ealasaide, I missed the part where you said your balcony was "screened"... er, how about window boxes??

Last edited by mark12_30; 05-09-2005 at 11:14 AM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote