Thread: Galadriel
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2003, 11:16 AM   #40
Atariel
Haunting Spirit

Atariel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

i don't understand why Galadriel changed her name to Galadriel. i mean, if she was supposed to be one of the highest of the Noldor on Middle-earth, and the Noldor speak Quenya, then why did she use the Sindarin version of her name? and anyway, the Sindarin-speaking elves would be calling her 'light lady', pretty much. it doesn't make sense to me to do rid of such a pretty name (Altariel, which makes her sound tall) and changing it. (Galadriel, whilst still a pretty name, doesn't have such a ring to it) Personally, i would have kept Altariel.

When was Galadriel born? I suppose that records of time don't go back (in years) before the time hat Anar rose. but how long was an age? and how many ages of lamps, and stars, were there? It's just too confusing. It is, thus, pretty damn impossible to tell people how old Galadriel is when they make the stupid mistake of asking. it doesn't really matter, does it, because she's going to live forever so who really cares how old she is. i'm sure Manwe must know, though.