View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 03:19 PM   #15
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Argh.

Quote:
I have probably the most reliable source (pre-movie) of Legolas killing Grima: The LotR Trivia Pursuit game. One of the questions is "Who kills Grime Wormtongue?" Answer: "Legolas" Can't get much more straightforward than that.
Blast.

Quote:
As far as I can see, he's the only logical choice to do it, unless you want Aragorn to?
The logical choice? I suppose so. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. I don't think Aragorn would kill him, since he did spare him at Edoras. Theoden would kill him if he had the chance... in fact, I'm not sure what I do want. What Essex said about Legolas shooting Grima after he threw the Palantir is fine by me, I guess. I'll have to think on it. I just don't want to see him laughing like a maniac and then having the arrow crash down into his skull, like Estel said it might be.

Quote:
Picture the scene in the movies where Legolas, say, kills Grima, and all the people in the cinema cheer and holler. That would encourage the audience to completely miss and ignore the point of Grima's pitiful end. This is not some nameless Orc for one of the good guys to slice open. Rather this is an important representation of a hopeless and pathetic man. This death is a genuinely melancholy one, and needs the proper treatment which Tolkien gave it.
As the lone Grima fangirl, I take off my hat to you, Eomer.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote