View Single Post
Old 09-01-2003, 03:18 PM   #369
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

"Gold Man. For your hair." Uien raked away a shingle she had pulled.

"If you would have me call you by your name, Fair Uien," he grinned, "then I ought to have the same of you, but I mind it not. Laurëatan sounds better than Falowik."

"And Gold Falowik would say the same thing twice!" Falowik laughed, and stopped suddenly, for it was a thing he had not done in many months, or years - he'd lost track - and it startled him. But the smile remained. So did his curiosity.

"Now I must know why Derufin thinks you might throw shingles at Master Boffin."

"I had words for that distrustful Hobbit after you left the table." Falowik's brow rose. "The bread I placed on his plate ... bounced." Falowik almost began sliding off the roof for laughing too hard. "Mind the tacks!"

When he had regained his composure he said, "I wish I had been there to see the look on his face. Ow, I think I've ripped my trousers in three new places."

"He did not have much to say in return. Not that I gave him much chance to reply."

"No wonder you said Falco might be displeased that you're coming with the search party."

"He can argue little with the need for a healer."

"I think my trousers need healing."

"Maybe I'll teach you to do that yourself."

"You think I cannot mend my own pants? There is much I can do! I can find you the herbs you need from these lands-"

"Well I know it."

"-and I can track as well as any Ranger - well, almost as well."

Derufin called from the other side of the roof. The three met at the peak.

‘You two go ahead. I’ll come along later. Beren has already brought me some food, and I want to get the planks laid and sealed before this evening.’ He looked down at the progress they were making on replacing the shingles on the north side. ‘Well done, you two. You should be done by the end of the day.’ He waved them off and went back to the section of the roof deck he was repairing.

Uien and Falowik climbed down the ladder and made their way into the common room for lunch and a good ale.

[ September 02, 2003: Message edited by: littlemanpoet ]