View Single Post
Old 06-24-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I have often thought of the horror of the trenches and how lucky we are that we will never have to face it, and that Tolkien survived it. I have many DVDs and books on the subject. I sit and watch those faces pass by, wondering what they could have done to enrich our world, I do not wish to upset anyone, yet I am glad that Tolkien survived The Great War by being invalided. The Somme is a battle honour for my Regiment, as it is for many regiments that survived that horror, but not the politicians knife. The Lancashire Fusileers were my local Regiment, they no longer exist, having been amalgamated with other regiments, diluting the standards, traditions and customs that many young men were proud of, and many died upholding them, these words Tolkien as a young officer of the regiment would understand

Omnia audax, the motto of The 20th of Foot, Daring in all things

And does'nt Tolkuhn mean Foolhardy.

I will raise a glass of port to my old regiment on the 1st of July, and drink to the memory old all who died that day

And I will play The Green Fields of France (No mans land) by The Men They Could'nt Hang

Last edited by narfforc; 06-25-2006 at 01:30 AM.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote