Thread: mithril vest
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2004, 08:12 AM   #10
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Just about the coat, not Lego's age

Yee! Someone else shares my idea of the mithril-coat being for Legolas!

Although, some of your reasoning is faulty, (like elves maturing about the same as humans, check out HoME v 10 Morgoth's Ring, "Laws and Customs of the Eldar"), I do share this view b/c

1) It was mithril and diamonds, and Thranduil liked white gems and such.
2) The quote from the Hobbit is that it was "made for some young elf prince long ago." And of course "long ago" Legolas would've been young, little matter so old he was in LotR. I get the idea that Elrond would've ordered two if any at all, since ElladanandElrohir seem to be "the twins" and not seperate people. Those are the only elf-princes we know about in the Third Age.
3) Another quote is Aragorn saying it's a coat for an "elf-princeling".

Another theory I feel inclined to put out there is one I read in a fanfic that the mithril coat was Earendil's. (At least I think that's what she was implying.) She didn't explain how the dwarves got it; perhaps something to do with the Beleriand Dwarves moving to the Ered Luin, and from there, the Dwarves brought it to Erebor.

It seems to me, if the dwarves were going to end up with any First Age elf-prince's things that prince would be from Doriath (since the Dwarves were the ones who sacked Doriath), but as we all know: No prince in Doriath...well, maybe Dior...but that was after the sack wasn't it?..curses, haven't read Silm yet.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote