View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #131
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nali

Nali could not guess what his brother, Lóni, meant by the phrase: “I think Trór himself made it clear what he is going to do and he is likely expecting from us: to stand by his side.” The statement seemed to be directed at him, yet he did not know whether to take it as encouragement or a subtle chastizement. Lóni’s customary quietude made it difficutl to discern the nature of the remark. Nali did not pursue the subject further. Indeed, even if Nali’s mind had not been pressed with more urgent matters he still would not have spoken on the matter.

“I personally hope to have no command of the civilians. Some dwarfs inspire loyalty and devotion; whilst others, like me, mearly respect. My place is beside a leader’s side. That is why I have spent my life carrying out orders instead of giving them. The task of leading the commoners in battle is important, but this task must fall on another besides me. If asked I will not accept and if chosen I will no lead; my place is by my lord.

“I agree with what thou hast said brother, but I must advise a word of caution. Trór is a proud fellow and still holds the ideal that his word is law; he has not yet becme acustomed to the will of the council. Instead he intends to govern as a general governs his troops: through strength and discipline. This unrest amongst the nobles has been Trór’s fault so far. However, we may yet be able to help our new lord without wounding his pride. Pherhaps we should suggest the mater to Trór before we bring an example of a subordinent forward?”

The idea of approaching Trór rekindled the memory of Onli and Nisa. Nali suddenly turned in a circle to see if he could spot the pair, and indeed he did, along with a fuming Kénan. By chance, Onli spotted Nali looking at him. Nali widened his eyes and nodded his head in Trór’s direction; he hoped that Onli would sieze this chance.

“Oh, I am sorry my friends,” Nali said after recieving two queer stares from Lóni and Ori. “Some commoner wished to speak to Trór. He claims to have some experience in managing affairs of state.” Nali did not realize the irony of his statement and the subject that the three were discussing.