View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 04:12 PM   #107
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Cel'n'Cur are... well, according to the Gateway's timeline, they're probably pushing 2000 (assuming they were born between Finrod and Galadriel). So yeah, it's a touch silly.
So my Sil timeline must be completely off - though I suppose a good number of those 2000 years were spent before the Exile, and I have absolutely no clue how many years - centuries, even - happened in those chapters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Ha! I mean, I could change it, but the incredulity is such fun. In my text Cel was the one who started the fight in the first place, so his bafflement totally fits.
Yeah, exactly! Like, what? huh? we don't have to fight about this? Oh dear...

I love "Nargothrond" to replace "moy narod = my people". It fits wonderfully.

Quote:
The day has come for my fair city
"The" sticks out just a tiiiny bit, and "Day has come" is weird. Could it become "Time/hour has come", perhaps?

Quote:
By the blood we've shed
Squeeee! I'm really happy that this line retained it's moral ambiguity: we lost our blood fighting Morgoth vs we killed Morgoth's armies vs we butchered innocent people. They obviously don't mean the last, but Finrod echoes exactly that meaning, and I think it's delightful.

Quote:
I bare my soul, I stand revealed
But I find no sword - nor an offered shield!
For the first line, I would suggest "and I stand revealed". [Edit: actually, never mind. It works better without the "and", if the emphasis falls as "I bare MY soul"]

For the second - did you change up the meaning intentionally? Because it's not exactly what the original says, but it's so ON POINT.

Quote:
Has his thirst for wine become thirst for battle?
This is perfect!

Quote:
If you live him still - won't you go along?
Spellcheck on "like". Fixed it in the Doc.

Quote:
So I'm unwanted, my own people spurn me
"So I am" would probably sit better. You have shortened lines fairly frequently, and they mostly still work - but this one is so easy to unshorten that my fingers itched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
The one artistic liberty I've taken is giving Curufin the line 'You're not a Vala'. This foreshadows the way Sauron defeats him, and is straight from the end of Canto VI of the Lay of Leithian
I think it works quite well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
(I am, more and more, convinced the subtitles have Cel and Cur backwards in the 2014 version; they seem to consistently get the 'wrong' parts. But I prefer black-headed Curufin, so it stays.)
I feel like I've never really separated them in my mind, that pair always sticks together like glue. But I imagined Cel to have blondish hair and Cur to be darker, so I guess it fits in my mind too. And since you pointed out which was which in V2 (because of course I haven't actually bothered to check, as they are essentially mutually replaceable), I have Cur stuck in my head as having the creepy voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
I don't have anything to add, I just wanted to say that I'm impressed by your dedication to this. These are funny and sound really good!
Thank you! It's nice to know someone else is reading this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
It's just so addictive!
Ha! That's exactly what I told you when I first succumbed to this! It’s a dangerous business, Hui, translating songs. You step into the musical, and if you don’t keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to.

PS: did you have an eye on Dream as well? I have a fledgling of an idea for Beren's part, but I can equally do one of the Beren/Finrod duets and leave this one to you if you wanna do the Luthien songs. Just putting this out there before I let the fledgling grow. :-)

Last edited by Galadriel55; 07-15-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote