View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Wait a sec. Let's suppose for a moment Sauron in flight had actually seen Gondolin and returned to his boss reporting its precise geographical position. What would have happened?

Morgoth, I think, would have attempted to attack and take it ASAP (Turgon always used to make him nervous, remember?). He might have taken a little longer without a Maeglin to help him from the inside, but I wager Gondolin would have fallen a lot earlier than it did.

What follows from this? No marriage of Tuor and Idril. No Eärendil. Nobody to plead for both Edain and Eldar before the Valar. Maybe no War of Wrath. Morgoth wins and establishes unchallenged dominion over Middle-earth. MWAHAHA!

Remind me again why this would have been preferable.